Episode 017 – Serving Up Sweet Success with Leah Gourlie
LaLa Custom Cake started in 2011, then called LaLa Cake, with the LaLa Cake Blog. Leah graduated from Johnson & Wales University in Providence RI with a culinary degree in 2003.
Her love for baking and cake started in 2005 when she worked as Executive Chef at The Simpson House Inn in Santa Barbara CA. (The Simpson House Inn is North America’s only 5 diamond rated Bed & Breakfast)
Since then she has honed her skills in a variety of different kitchens, including her most recent job managing the kitchen at a local convent. Leah is now a full time caker and mom.
LaLa Custom Cake serves the Cleveland, Ohio area and surrounding cities.
- Starting small is a great way to begin and to validate your idea
- Leah perfected the art of beautiful cakes with great tasting confections
- Be willing to take a leap of faith
- Experience is a great learning tool
- Blogs are a great way to demonstrate expertise and chronicle your journey
- Reach out to local business for opportunities for affiliates or collaboration
- If you do not have a business background, check out local business support groups or incubators
LaLa Custom Cake Website
Bad Girl Ventures (now known as Aviatra Accelerators)